Friday 8 June 2012

Review: MAC Lipstick - Ruby Woo

So here goes my first product review! I received Mac's 'Ruby Woo' in the post today so I thought what a great product to start off with!

'Ruby Woo' is described by Mac as a 'Vivid bluish-red' and is a 'Matte' finish. My first impressions of this shade was that it looked quite dark when you look at the stick, however when applied the colour is extremely vibrant and beautiful. 




Mac Lipstick - 'Ruby Woo' (Matte)
I am quite familiar with matte formulations as I am in love with my Revlon matte lipsticks - matte formulas are known to be quite drying and hard to apply which they are in some cases. My first impressions of Ruby Woo when I swatched it on my hand was that this was indeed the case; the formulation is quite dry. However this is what provides such a vibrant and block colour on the lips, and personally, I love the matte look! 

When I applied this to my lips it was quite tricky to get a perfect shape but I guess it just takes a little bit of practice! I loved the colour on my skin tone and the texture didn't look dry at all. (Yay!) Despite being matte, it doesn't feel like it dries my lips out at all, though I would recommend moisturising your lips beforehand with something like Nuxe's 'Rêve de Miel' lipbalm as it is nourishing on the lips but matte! You can apply it straight before the lipstick application and still get that matte look. 

Heavy swatch on the left, light swatch on the right
Natural light, with flash
Heavy swatch on the left, light swatch on the right
Natural light, without flash

As you can see from the swatches, 'Ruby Woo' is a very 'true' red colour, it is a great choice if you are looking for that perfect matte red lipstick. I love this lippy and I can tell I will be wearing this for days! 

Mac lipsticks currently retail at £13.50 and are available at all Mac stores and maccosmetics.co.uk, as well as Debenhams and House of Fraser.


Me wearing Mac's 'Ruby Woo' on my lips.

Other make-up...
Base: Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Barcelona
Mac Mineralize Skin Finish in Medium Dark
Concealer: Mac Pro Longwear Concealer in NW25
Set with Mac Prep + Prime Translucent setting powder
Eyebrows: Mac eyeshadow in Espresso
Eyes: Top lashline - L'oreal Superliner Carbon Gloss
Bottom lashline - Mac Eye Kohl in Teddy
Mascara: Bourjois Volume Glamour
Highlight: Jemma Kidd Dewy Glow in Rose Gold
Cheeks: Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Colour in Peach Whisper

Hope you liked the review! Remember to comment and you can follow me on Twitter @chloemykel :-)

Chloe x






No comments:

Post a Comment