Monday 1 April 2013

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup in Cashew 3W2 (New Shade) - Review

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup SPF 10 in 3W2 Cashew - £27.50
I usually like to try out my foundations for at least a month or two to test them properly and work out if I do really like them or not and if they work for my skin. It's been just under two weeks and I am itching to write this review! So here it is, possibly the most surprising foundation I've ever tried.


I've heard so many great things about Estee Lauder Double Wear for absolutely years, and I don't know why but I had lots of negative preconceptions before I'd even tried it. I've always liked a medium or even light coverage foundation, being a lover of Mac Face and Body and Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat as well as other lighter options. I always thought that Double Wear was a heavy, cakey foundation that I didn't need as I don't have bad skin and don't like foundations feeling heavy. I couldn't have been more wrong. I also thought this foundation would be really full coverage, which it can be, but only if you build it. 


To me, Double Wear is a medium to full coverage foundation depending on how many layers you want, which is why it's so versatile. You can use more or less depending on how much you need and in which areas as it layers so well - I always work thinly to keep things natural and just build. I couldn't have been more wrong about the cakey-ness or heavy-ness. I personally can't feel it on my skin and the texture doesn't feel thick at all, it's quite liquid-y actually which means it blends like a dream (I use my Beauty Blender). I did do some research regarding the new shades and the formula (there are now a whopping 30 shades!) as a very popular shade 'Shell 1C1' has been discontinued, but is apparently being brought back after much uproar. I can't comment on the old formula as I have only tried this new one, but it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with it at all, and lives up to it's 'Double Wear' title incredibly. As for my shade match, it's perfect. I use 'Cashew 3W2' and it's very much yellow enough for my skin which I love. It looks quite orange when poured out and when I was first applying I thought 'yikes!', but it's a really great match for me - probably the best match I own as I can even slap it on in a hurry and it blends with my own skin colour. 


'Cashew 3W2' swatched on my hand
I have always found it really hard to get a foundation to stay put on my skin, which is something that is really important to me, especially if I know I'll be having a long day or want to look flawless without having to worry about touching up or powdering. My other foundations do okay, by the end of the day they are still there but not like Double Wear, no where near. I mentioned in my review of the Dior Skin Nude Foundation (here) that it lasted well and looked pretty much the same when I got home depending on what my skin was doing that day, but that was with having set my whole face with powder and touching up during the day. After using this foundation, I've realised how much foundations change throughout the day, they wear in certain places, oxidise, disintegrate from oil production, but Double Wear doesn't seem to do any of those things.




The above photos were taken after a LONG day at work. I applied Estee Lauder Double Wear just before 9am and took these photos after 7pm that evening. A dusting of powder through my t-zone and for my concealer on application and thats it. No powdering during the day, no touch ups or re-application - nothing. You can see a slight breakthrough of shine from the flash, but after 10+ hours of wearing this foundation, I am so impressed. I've never had a foundation stay this perfect on my skin, I looked close up in the mirror numerous times that day and my skin was still matte, no redness had broken through (something I have a real problem with), no shine or fading and no patchiness.


Heres me wearing the foundation on it's own, no powder or anything else. Surprisingly, when applied in layers, this is the most natural looking foundation I own. I expected the finish to be super matte but it's not. It's more of a semi-matte finish, it definitely mattifies but just looks like natural, perfect skin. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was wearing make-up in this photo and he said no (result!) - I can't help but agree as it looks so natural. Not mask like and not cakey.

Me with just Double Wear on 
Rest of make-up done!



As for the famous Double Wear 'ghost face' due to the SPF, it can slightly look lighter in the occasional photo like the one above, but in the other photos my face looks true to life. I wouldn't go as far as saying that I wouldn't wear this foundation if I knew I was being photographed, as it hasn't proven to be a problem yet and sometimes the flash can just wash you out anyway. I like that it has an SPF of 10 as it's great for everyday protection. This foundation doesn't accentuate pores and one of the most important qualities of this foundation is that it looks great close-up. I can shove my nose up against the mirror (not literally) and it looks just as flawless as it does from far away - this is a big thing for me as I'm quite fanatical about how make-up looks close up. It's all well and good being nicely made up, but it needs to look natural, not like you've applied bags of foundation that's just sitting on the surface - gross!

I use a dusting of Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder through my t-zone and under my eyes for my concealer but it's not essential as the foundation lasts amazingly on it's own. I've always had to set every foundation I've tried for fear of looking like an oil slick by lunchtime, but this one stays put without. 

As for the packaging, I think the bottle is beautiful, it looks and feels very expensive. It's quite weighty to hold because of the frosted glass, but it's nice and small so it's fine to travel with. The lack of pump doesn't bother me too much as it encourages me to be careful with how much I pour out. I rarely ever finish foundations as I buy so many, but I have a feeling that this may be the first one to be re-purchased. I'll keep you all updated on how I go with this and if my opinion of it changes, but as of now it is up there as my favourite foundation so far. It's just flawless. It seems I am an Estee Lauder girl at heart, and I am excited to be working on the counter in just over a months time, so I'll definitely be posting about my experience and the products I will discover!

You can get iMatched at any Estee Lauder counter (which I highly recommend) and Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup is available at any Lauder counter and online here. With 30 shades, I'm sure you'll find your perfect match!

Have you tried this foundation?


24 comments:

  1. Brilliant review! I've been using this for a long time and it's always the foundation you can rely on to stay put and look good all day. The way Estee Lauder have rearranged their colours has been massively annoying, especially as they've kept the name of mine (Fresco) but completely changed the colour! Grrrrrr. Still wouldn't be without it though :)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie :-) That's so frustrating :-( what shade is your new match now then? I don't know why they couldn't just keep the old shades and add new ones too! Makes sense. They might end up bringing Fresco back as a lot of people have complained! x

      Delete
    2. @ You Me Friday - are you using another colour now since the new Fresco is not the same colour as the old one? I also used the old Fresco, but was wondering which colour to switch to now.

      Delete
    3. I have had the same issue - the old Fresco color was PERFECT for me. The new one is too dark/more yellow. I tried the other colors, but nothing matches. I bought the 1N2 Ecru, but its too light and still pulls yellow. I loved the old Fresco as it was perfectly neutral in the right shade for me. I am desperately on the search for new powder (wish I didn't) with no luck. Any suggestions. Thanks, Allison.

      Delete
    4. I also used old fresco, and today I bought the new one. It really is a little bit darker and yellowish in appearance, but when I put it on my face, I couldn't see the difference at all!!! Strange, but it is true. :) Thanks God, it works for me! And they didn't change the formula too much, the smell is the same, only the density is a little bit different, but still is the best foundation I have ever tried!

      Delete
  2. Your skin looks flawless!
    Love how your writing reviews, So helpful! Think I might have to invest in this foundation too!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Kim! I reeeeeally recommend it - very worth the £££ :-) I'm following you! xxx

      Delete
  3. Hey im also at 3w2 in estee lauders double wear im finding it hard to compare myself to other brands what colour suits you best in mac products? Or if you've tried the kevyn aucoin skin enhancer? Foundation looks great on you also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an NC42 in MAC, and a C5 in MAC Face and Body. Some of their foundations run different in terms of shades but NC42 seems to always fit me perfectly! Hope that helped! And thank you for the comment :-) I haven't tried Kevyn Aucoin. xxx

      Delete
  4. Hi, great review! I've already heard so many good things about this foundation, I must try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is great, my all time favourite so far. I couldn't recommend it enough xx

      Delete
  5. GREAT review! I have double wear in colour 2W0, which I think is probably exclusive to Hong Kong and the Asian countries.

    I would love to know how you would apply it, coz when I apply it without blending it with some moisturizer it seems too thick and mask-like on me. So your tips will definitely help! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mag! Yes I do believe that one is an Asian exclusive as we don't have it here in the UK! Not sure about the US. Do you know the shade name? I apply mine with a Beauty Blender, the official one. You can buy dupes but the real ones are amazing, really recommend them. If you search my blog for 'Beauty Blender' there is a review all about it. Makes DW look flawless - and helps to stop that heavy, mask looking effect! Hope that helps!! Thanks for your comment! xxx

      Delete
  6. I just got a sample cashew few days back. Totally buying it.. it really is a great foundation!


    http://www.sapphiretoast.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a sample first too! Amazing foundation :-) xx

      Delete
  7. You are so adorable..and naturally beautiful :) very nice review i really wanna try it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely! Thank you! And I really really urge anyone to at least go get a sample! It's brilliant xx

      Delete
  8. Great review! I got matched up at an Estee Lauder stand and I am not happy :'( as I was told my shade was Cashew and I bought the foundation to find it makes me look like I have been tangoed! I am an NC40 in Mac and could get away with a shade lighter. Next time I'm better off asking for sample to try at home first x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear :( I'm an NC42 in mac so I would probably say your shade is Tawny. If you still have your receipt you should be able to exchange it for another shade even though its been used. That's Lauder policy in the UK anyway. Exchange it for Tawny and then get a sample aswell so you can use that first before you open it! That's what I do if I want to buy a foundation there and then! Hope that helps :) xx

      Delete
  9. Hello Chloe..how are u and Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation nowadays?? i have an acne-prone skin and currently i am using Max Factor Brown Heissan as my daily foundation for office work.. I have heard about Estee Lauder and I think I wanna give it a try. Does it have a safe formula for an acne-prone skin ilke me??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Minette, me and Double Wear are still in love as ever. It's just the best foundation. At work we do tend to recommend Double Wear to acne-prone skins as it is oil free so it won't further irritate acne and I've found it to be quite suitable for skin types such as yours. A lot of women suffering with acne do tend to go for it for the coverage, long-wearing nature on oilier, acne-prone skins and I believe all Lauder's products are Hypo-allergenic. If you were to have any reaction to the foundation for any reason then they will always happily refund you. I would definitely, definitely try it, at least get a sample to try it before you buy. I don't think you will be disappointed! :-) hope that helps xx

      Delete
  10. Nice post! Very informative!

    I do wish it had worked as well for me though. :)

    http://xeraphina.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/estee-lauder-double-wear-cosmetics/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your review is wonderful! I can't wait to buy my bottle! :)

    Jenny
    www.chibistk.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the double wear as well, but on me it does oxidise wihtout primer. Now I haven;t tried it without any yet. So I might try it tomorrow. But the yellow undertone I like when applying turned orange on me. And now my face looks darker than my body. I thought I did buy a shade that was maybe tiny tiny bit lighter. But i dont want to go too light or else it will look like a mask. i have shade 2W2 Rattan :( I do love the formula though

    ReplyDelete