Monday 1 July 2013

RiRi ♥'s MAC Summer - Retro Matte Lipstick in Heaux


Like many of us beauty junkies, I was so excited to get my hands on part of the RiRi ♥'s MAC Summer  collection by MAC and Rihanna. I already had my eye on the Retro Matte Lipstick in Heaux after reading descriptions online and seeing a review on Temptalia.com (linked here).
 At 12pm sharp last Thursday, I was already on the MAC website refreshing the page like a mad woman - two windows open. It took about 7 minutes for it to appear on my laptop, I don't know how everyone else found it? Naughty MAC! After it finally appeared, I swifty added Heaux and RiRi Boy to my basket but I ended up sacrificing RiRi Boy after not being sure on it. Looking back I do wish I had got it, but it's an exact dupe of MAC's Up The Amp lipstick, just in a different finish. It is also available on eBay but at extortionate prices! 


However, I was so thrilled to have been able to get one of Heaux as apparently it sold out in 15 minutes?! Crazy! I'm really happy with this lipstick as I am a massive fan of matte lipsticks, they are probably my favourite lipstick finish. 



I've found that in texture, it is the same kind of matte as my Ruby Woo lipstick by MAC. Both are 'Retro Matte' finishes, quite dry but perfect as a matte lipstick. It can gather in places due to it's dry texture if you apply too much, but a way around this is apply it in thin layers and blot in-between. 



As for the shade, I absolutely love it. It's a dark berry colour with quite pink undertones and is a real statement lipstick. Like all matte lipsticks, it wears nicely and only needs touch up's throughout the day. I would say that due to the formula, it would be wise to make sure your lips are nice and conditioned with lip balm underneath either a while before applying or just before applying and then blotted off, as the formula can make dry and flaky lips more obvious.


 In some photos it can look a lot brighter because of the flash, but I'd say the swatches below on my hands an lips portray the shade quite accurately. I love the 'RiRi' signature on the bullet, I'll be disappointed when it starts to wear down!

Swatch of Heaux on my hand (NC42 in MAC), with flash.
Me wearing MAC Lipstick in Heaux

I'm really glad I picked this shade from the collection, I had my heart set on RiRi Woo for quite a while but finally accepted the fact that it's pretty much identical to Ruby Woo and that it wasn't worth it. 
I really rate this lipstick and if you weren't lucky enough to get one, then I know that Rebel by MAC is a really close dupe for it!

Did you get anything from the RiRi ♥'s MAC Summer collection?


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Such a gorgeous colour! I just wanted to drop a quick comment to you as I've been trawling through all your past posts and I just wanted to say I've really enjoyed your blog. I'm also mixed race and sometimes I mind it so hard to find bloggers who I can identify with in terms of colours to look for/suitable companies and your blog has given me loads of great ideas! Thanks so much, Hattie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Hattie that is really nice of you! Thank-you! It makes all the difference when someone lets you know that they enjoy what you put together. Really happy that I could help you! It is sometimes quite hard for us mixed race gals! Any questions you have, feel free to contact me on Twitter or email me! I am following your blog! Xxx

      Delete
  2. I just followed your blog recently, you're the only one who seems to have reviewed the Bobbi Brown Bronzer in Deep! I was planning on picking it up, but the SA said its too dark for me? And I'm a MAC 43 - 44? Should I still go for it?

    .. as for Ririwoo, I hope it comes out here soon!
    However, considering I have Ruby woo, not so sure if I need it :P

    LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Well I LOVE my BB bronzer in Deep. The SA recommended it to me and I agreed as on tanned skins you can get away with a deeper shade of bronzer. I am an NC42 and it's the perfect shade for me. It might look scary in the pan but when applied properly it's a beautiful contour, a lovely terracotta shade. The red undertones make it a great bronzer as it doesn't make you look orange! You are darker than me so I would definitely recommend it. I think it's their darkest bronzer, any lighter and you run the risk of it not showing up as much? Which to me seems silly. Go for the deep! And thank-you! Riri Woo does look lovely, if you have Ruby Woo though I'd look at comparison posts to see if it's worth it, they are only slightly different shades. But however a lovely collectors item!
      Thank u for your comment!! xx

      Delete