Tuesday 24 July 2012

Supplements: What supplements do I take?

Hello lovelies,

So, supplements.....they can be quite confusing. I know the feeling of stepping into Holland and Barrett and looking at all the pills and potions and thinking 'Which ones? What do they all do?!' There are far too many to choose from. I am lucky that my Mum is really into supplements, so she's always pointed me in the right direction.

She has always re-inforced the importance of Vitamin C, and has always tried to make me take it in some type of supplement form wether it be chewy ones when I was younger, the effervescent tablets that dissolve in water, or just the bog standard supplement pills that I am taking now. 



Holland and Barrett Vitamin C-250mg with Wild Rose Hips Food Supplement
and Holland and Barrett Pure Cod Liver Oil 800mg with Odourless Garlic


I take these supplements daily, among a few others which I will talk about later on, but these are my two main staples. 

The Vitamin C with Wild Rose Hips is just my standard vitamin to keep my immune system working to it's fullest (even though I have a naturally amazing immune system if I do say so myself!) and helps prevent things like the common cold and coughs etc. Vitamin C improves the immune system and makes your body more resilient to illnesses and promotes general wellbeing. Vitamin C is also an anti-oxidant, pro-oxidant, antihistamine and performs physiological functions such as the synthesis of collagen.









What Holland and Barrett say:

"  As an antioxidant, Vitamin C may help to protect DNA, lipids and proteins from oxidative free radical damage. Vitamin C also plays a role in non-haem iron absorption and collagen formation, as well as normal function of the immune and nervous systems.  "










You can take up to 8 of these tablets per day, though I tend to only take one or two. They are suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans and they are currently £2.99 at Holland and Barrett. I think these tablets are an absolute bargain, and if you can get your hands on them and start making them a regular supplement to take, then I certainly would!


The other holy holy holy grail supplement I take is Holland and Barrets Pure Cod Liver Oil with Odourless Garlic. I LOVE this stuff. It is so good for you, in so many ways. We always have a jar of this in the house, my Mum and Dad both take them and have done for years. Cod Liver Oil contains Omega 3 - Omega 3 is AMAZING if you want clear, glowing and bright skin. If your face is looking dull, you suffer from spots or acne, or your skin just wont behave itself - this is your be all and end all supplement. Seriously. 

I was going through a bit of a skin turmoil, I was getting a few spots a day, my skin was coming out in red, irritated rash like things, and my skin texture looked awful (you know when you catch yourself in that certain lighting that highlights EVERYTHING on your face - ugh). I've also always suffered with micro-bumps in my t-zone between my eyebrows, I've heard these are blocked pores, I don't know. All I know is that I started taking these supplements and my skin is looking smooth, clear, glowing and just fab. It makes make-up look ten times better and I don't even feel the need to wear much most days. 

Cod Liver Oil is so potent, it really works in a short amount of time, it contains Vitamin A, Vitamin D and Omega 3 fatty acids. 




"   Lack of Vitamin A, D or Omega 3 can all lead to the following:
  1. An accumulation of toxins – toxins cannot be handled and excreted properly and will often be excreted through the skin (aka acne)
  2. Dry Skin – your skin cannot achieve optimal moisture levels without necessary nutrients that keep the skin cells plump and not rigid.
  3. A slower healing rate – your body will spend its resources on fighting off toxins and infection that would normally be handled with ease. As a result, your skin suffers.   "


I eat a lot of fish anyway, I love the stuff, but I will always take these as they are so effective and a great dietary supplement if you do lack those vitamins and nutrients, or if you are trying to improve your skin.   


My boyfriend has suffered with bad spots for a few years now, he was getting tired of dealing with it and nothing the doctors ever prescribed him had any effect. So along with a few other things I recommended to him, I dragged him down to Holland and Barrett (yes - dragged) and got him to pick up a bottle of these supplements. His skin had improved vastly, when he first started taking them he had no breakouts at all, none. And since then he has had a few small ones, but nothing major, a complete turnaround from before. His skin looks like it is healing better (he has some acne scarring) and just looks clear and glowing. It is just so frustrating that doctors don't recommend these tablets to patients suffering with acne - they do wonders.










What Holland and Barrett say:

"   Cod Liver Oil naturally contains Vitamins A and D which help to maintain a healthy immune system. This product also provides the health benefits of garlic...without the odour.   "











The added Odourless Garlic is something my Mum always bangs on about, and let me tell you, the woman is 50 and she has the smoothest skin ever - not a wrinkle in sight! Garlic is another magic ingredient and is like a 'cure all' for lots of health and skin problems. It is good for Acne, Cardiovascular Health, High Cholesterol and Blood Clots. It is an Antioxidant and it's Anti-bacterial. It also keeps Vampires at bay. (Hehe)

Cold Liver Oil is good for bones and joints also, as well as being good for your heart!

You can take one of these tablets per day, preferably with a meal - do not exceed this dose. They are currently £21.49 for 240 capsules at Holland and Barrett. I have the 60 capsules bottle but I couldn't find them anywhere on the website and can't remember the price!


Whatever supplements you choose to take, just remember that if you are unsure, just contact your doctor if you are worried about anything or think you could possibly have a problem with a supplement. Always consult your doctor before taking a supplement if you are pregnant, breast feeding or taking any medications. 

I am healthy and have no underlying health issues, so for me these supplements are fine. Remember, you know your body better than anyone else! 

I really recommend both of these supplements, I have noticed real changes with them and feel they keep my body and skin resilient and healthy.



A few other supplements I take regularly are:


  • Holland and Barrett Cranberry Fruit Concentrate with Vitamins C + E - I take these because I am prone to UTI's (Urinary Tract Infections) and I have had a bit of a sensitive bladder for a few years.
  • Holland and Barrett High Strength Zinc - I take these for normal skin, hair and nails, and immune system support.
  • Holland and Barrett Radiance Multivitamins and Minerals - I take these for general health and wellbeing.

I do hope you enjoyed the post! And if you were confused about supplements, I hope I shed some light on a few that I use and what they are good for!!





No comments:

Post a Comment