Wednesday 29 August 2012

My Current Skincare Routine - Morning & Evening

Finally! A new post. So sorry for the delay - see my previous post to find out why.

I have been wanting to show you all my skincare routine for a long time now, but it was never quite right. Finding products that really work for your skin and knowing your skin inside out is hard. It's so easy to just buy products on the basis that other people are using them but not actually looking and observing what those products are doing for your skin. I've tried copious amounts of products over the years, and these are the ones that really provide results for me, and that have changed my skin for the better. It is also important to know your skin type when choosing products, my skin for the most part is combination and dehydrated, but your skin can become slightly different at different times of the year.


-


Cleansing & Exfoliating


St.Ives Naturally Clear Apricot Scrub 
The best facial scrub on this earth, hands down. I have used this scrub for so, so long and will always repurchase it. It's the greatest product for really buffing your skin to get a smooth, polished and un-clogged result. The exfoliants are 100% natural and are ground apricot stones - sounds harsh but the granules are not too rough on the skin and the gritty texture of the scrub makes it so effective at sloughing away dead skin and combatting blackheads. This scrub also contains Salicylic acid which is great for un-clogging pores as it penetrates the pore and cleans it out - fab, no? What's even more fab is that you can purchase this from many Supermarkets, Pharmacies, Boots and it is on offer at the moment at Superdrug for £1.99! Seriously, go out and buy one now! You won't regret it. I use this 3-4 times a week, usually in the mornings to make me feel clean after sleeping.

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser 
There's not much to say about this cleanser apart from it's fab fab fab. I have already ordered my second bottle, and it's safe to say I can't live without this stuff. It's a lovely, luxurious cream cleanser that smells herbal and beautiful. It moisturises with Cocoa Butter as it cleanses and melts away dirt and grime. It tones gently with Eucalyptus oil, Chamomile and Rosemary - perfect before bedtime which is when I use it as my night time first cleanse. (I always double cleanse). A fantastic no-fuss cleanser that just works. It cleanses, it tones, it moisturises and the natural ingredients help my skin to stay smooth, soft and in-check!

Balance Me Pure Skin Face Wash Skin-Balancing Cleanser 
(The lid went astray so I had to re-pot it into this travel pot from Boots! Oops)
My favourite cleanser of them all, this is really great for daytime as it keeps my combination skin really balanced so it doesn't over-produce oil. I love it because it doesn't strip my skin of its moisture like a lot of cleansers do. It cleanses in a gentle but effective way, getting rid of all dirt and grime while moisturising, balancing and smelling utterly delicious. It's got an interesting jelly texture and creates a nice creamy but mild lather when used on damp skin and massaged well. I got the 50ml sample in Glamour magazine, and will definitely be repurchasing the full size when I'm almost out! I really recommend this for normal/combination skins that need a little help with keeping everything balanced.


Algenist Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser with Alguronic Acid 
The magical silver Algenist cleanser - yep, this cleanser is silver! This is such a great one for keeping my skin tone nice and even. Being half-Caribbean I do suffer with darkened skin in areas where I shave or wax and have been prone to darkness on my top lip from waxing as well as scars becoming dark and some dark pigmentation areas. I never really thought there was much I could do about it, until I discovered this cleanser containing Alguronic acid which has proven extremely effective for evening out skin tone and brightening. Since using this cleanser I have seen a real difference in my darker areas, my face is all one colour! It really makes a difference as foundation becomes less of a necessity and my skin looks much more bright and perfected on it's own, without the use of make-up.


-


Morning


Lancome Tonique Doucer
My favourite toner for softening and tightening everything up, it smells delicious and really preps my skin for make-up. It's so soothing on my skin and isn't harsh at all, it's alcohol free and hydrates as it tones - an all in one! I love it.

Caudalie Beauty Elixir 
I can't even explain how much I love this stuff, I would wear it as perfume - the smell is beautiful! It's a strong scent, extremely minty and herbal but gorgeous. It doesn't feel like a harsh toner on my skin, it's like an injection of moisture and goodness after my skin has been toned and softened with the Lancome. I do three sprays all over my face and work it in with my fingers to really get the most out of it. It's packed with essential oils and contains no parabens or nasties. I heard a lot of people say that it helped combat blemishes and I have hardly had any since using this, which is surely a good sign? I use it as a sort of serum/toner which is what it's been branded as, and I don't feel using two toner type products is drying my skin in any way as they are both gentle formulas with plenty of good ingredients, not just an astringent drying toner like some. The Caudalie does contain alcohol, but it hasn't irritated or stripped my skin like some other alcohol based toners have. All in all, a thumbs up, and a definite re-purchase!

Hydraluron Serum
I wrote about this briefly a few posts back, and I stand by my opinions on it - this stuff is incredible. I noticed a difference with this after one day of use, one day! It plumps the skin, makes moisturiser more effective and has made my skin the smoothest I've ever seen it. I knew that I had quite dehydrated skin, but once you use this serum it really makes you realise how much extra juice your skin needs! It's a hero product in my eyes and one I definitely will repurchase. I use this before moisturising to get the most hydration out of my moisturiser.

Clarins HydraQuench Lotion with SPF 15
A new moisturiser for me, and a fab one at that. I have previously raved about my all time favourite moisturiser the La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat, which is still amazing and I use it at night time for going out as I don't need SPF. For daytime this Clarins one is just great, it's got SPF 15 which is just enough for English weather in my opinion, and although I have ranted about the importance of sun protection, it's been proven that an SPF 15 can be a more effective barrier against the sun's effects than a higher SPF such as an SPF 30? I don't know how true this is, however I feel an SPF 15 is a medium and substantial amount of protection for everyday where I live and allows me to get my Vitamin D that the sun gives our skin! The SPF is definitely apparent in this moisturiser as its a creamy white colour and when applied, takes a few seconds for it to sink in and the white colour to disappear. This moisturiser really hydrates with Hyaluronic acid but isn't overly creamy and rich so it keeps me really hydrated but not oily - result! It smells nice, the texture is lovely and it makes my skin look glowing and plump, something the Effaclar Mat doesn't do! I am loving this so far, and I am really impressed with the results it's given. I really recommend it if you're a tad oily in your t-zone but also dehydrated, and your looking for something light and hydrating.

-


Evening


Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic
The most calming and soothing tonic for before bed, I use this every night without fail! It smells so good, like roses, and is soothing and moisturising on the skin. Perfect if your skin is irritated, if you've been in the sun and at night to calm your skin down and balance everything out. I enjoy putting this on my face so much, it's just a pleasure to use. It is alcohol free and I wouldn't even class it as a toner, it's a tonic that gives your skin a boost of soothing ingredients such as Aloe Vera and Cucumber but keeps everything moisturised with Vitamin E - can't recommend it enough.

Murad Exfoliating Blemish Treatment Gel
A fairly new product for me, but I have already noticed what this treatment can do on a few blemishes on my jaw. You are supposed to use this all over the face as a treatment before moisturiser, but I also use it as a targeted spot treatment for exfoliating and getting rid of spots fast. It's really effective and not harsh or drying on the skin which a lot of spot products are. It smells like a spot product should smell - quite astringent but not too harsh. I don't use this every night, but I do use it when I have a few blemishes or feel my skin is congested.

REN Omega 3 Night Repair Serum
This is a great serum if you don't mind the smell of fish - haha! All jokes aside, this serum does smell a quite fishy and I am not allowed to put it on if my boyfriend is present! Despite the fishy smell, it delivers great results, whenever I use this my skin looks really bright and glowing in the morning. The effects are quite instant on me so I would even use it during the day as a sort of mask if I had something important to go to in the evening. The consistency is very oily but not too greasy so I wouldn't really class it as a serum, it's more of a night oil. Overall I really like it, unsure as to wether I would repurchase though as I feel that there could be something more effective for me.

TRI-Peptox Collagen+ Overnight Recharge
This was an impulse buy as it was half-price in Sainsbury's and I had run out of my La Roche Posay Redermic+. I wasn't expecting anything miraculous for around £4 but I am really impressed with it! It's got a really nice consistency and feels super hydrating. It's just a really lovely night cream that does everything I needs it to, it's plumping, hydrating and it promises long term effects. I will report back on wether this is staying in my routine, but I am really happy with it so far.

La Roche-Posay Effaclar K
An alternative pre-moisturising treatment as opposed to the Murad one. I picked this up at Boots on a whim when my skin was congested and I do quite like it, I've had it for a while and do use it very often on areas of my skin that are becoming clogged or spot prone. You can use it as a moisturiser and it's great base for make-up as it's really light. It gave good results on my t-zone as far as oil production went, so I continued using it and was quite impressed! As with all La Roche Posay products I've found you don't need a lot, the silky thermal spring water formula spreads really easily and feels like water on the skin. A nice, gentle treatment for oily/combinations skins and affordable too!


-


So that's my current skincare routine - no doubt it will change and be added to over time, but at the moment these products are ones that I am really loving and that have worked for my skin! 

Let me know if you have used any of the products mentioned or are thinking about purchasing any. I am always willing to answer your questions and comments!

2 comments:

  1. I love your mini review about each product! Is the Caudalie Beauty Elixir worth the splurge?

    http://deeyacantabile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! and yes I love it :-)) great product xx

      Delete