Friday 10 August 2012

My two favourite under-eye concealers: Clinique Airbrush Concealer & Mac Moisture Cover

Mac Moisturecover Concealer in NC35 and Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Medium 02

These two concealers have really been my favourites for the past few months. Concealers, no matter what concealer, crease into the lines under my eyes within a matter of seconds. The Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer, the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection, you name it, it creases. Its not the fault of the concealer, it's simply my eyes! (Boo!)

However, I've found a way that works for me to use concealer (I will explain more further on) and if you have troubles with creasing concealer then you may like to try this also.


Clinique Airbrush Concealer in Medium 02
This Clinique concealer was recommended on a video by Lisa Eldridge, the most amazing make-up artist in the world - really. It is 'light-reflective' one which means if you use it on the areas you are dark, it brightens and conceals them, light reflects off of the concealer making you look brighter and fresher under the eye.

I had never tried one of these light reflective ones before, but this one really does work! There are also good ones by Maybelline and Rimmel that you can pick up in the drugstore. 

-

The first thing I tackle when I am doing my concealer work is the darkness under my eyes, I'm talking about the circles/bags that form underneath the eye. I don't get close to the lash line at all because if you think about it, you don't need to conceal here. Foundation will take care of any discolouration if you have fairly normal eyes. If you have an extremely dark eye area then this method may not be for you.

So looking at the circle underneath, I use my Clinique Airbrush Concealer to conceal only the dark area. So by now I have a pink crescent shaped line going from the side of my nose to below my eye. Applying the product to the circle only. I then blend this out with my finger, and the dark circle has been concealed only where it needs to be and is relatively invisible. By only concealing the dark circle you are giving yourself coverage where you need it. Putting on loads of this light-reflective concealer under the whole of your eye, from the corner up to the lash line and over your dark circles, you are highlighting the dark circle more and creating a reverse effect. I hope this makes sense!

Mac Moisturecover Concealer in NC35
I've always had love hate relationships with my Mac concealers, but I can't fault the Moisturecover, its perfect for what I need.

As far as Mac concealers go I've bought and tried the Studio Finish, the Pro-longwear, the Select cover-up (which I currently use for blemishes and redness) and the Moisturecover. I do like the Select-cover up, it's so heavy duty you only need a tiny bit, but I just can't put concealers like that under my eyes.

-

The reason why I decided to pick up this concealer at Mac was because it provides moisture to the eye as well as concealing. I always use eye cream before make-up anyway, but heavy concealers tend to be quite drying on my under-eye area and start to look scaly no matter how moisturised my eyes are.

This concealer is so, so lightweight and silky. It doesn't feel heavy in the slightest and instead of looking dry it looks really radiant and glowing - something that will make you look healthy and awake! 

-

I use this concealer after the Clinique and I use it on my cheekbone directly underneath my eyes, so kind of overlapping the concealer work I have just done. I dot it along the bone all the way out to where my eye stops. I then blend this out using my Mac 130 stippling brush or my finger. This concealer helps to give me that bright-eyed look and I sometimes draw a triangle with it and blend it out if I really want that Kim Kardashian illuminated look! This method works really great for me and because I am avoiding the direct space under my eyes and near my lash line, the concealer doesn't crease and the concealer is really targeted to just my dark points. The science of concealer, eh?

-

This concealer is definitely moisturising, so if you have particularly dry skin you may like this. I have this in NC35 although I am currently an NC42. Surprisingly, it's not actually that much lighter than my skintone, I swatched it at the Mac counter before I bought it and it's the perfect shade to brighten, not accentuate. If you want to eliminate darkness under your eyes, never go too light with your concealer or you can reverse the effect, highlighting your darkness even more than without concealer. Slightly lighter is perfect and if you're unsure, ask an artist at the counter to help you pick out a perfect shade.

Overall, this is my favourite concealer for covering my under-eye darkness. By all means this is not a full coverage concealer, however for me it is just enough coverage. If you were looking to cover severe darkness or pigmentation, this concealer just wouldn't cut it. 

-

So those are my favourite concealers for under the eyes, I hope you enjoyed it! Please comment and let me know what you thought or if you found the tips & tricks useful! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment